For ~ 8
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened & dark)
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 sticks softened unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 dry red wine (Syrah was used, again!)
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl
- In another bowl, beat the butter with sugar at medium-high speed until fluffy (~4 minutes)
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat til incorporated. Add in vanilla extract and beat for 2 more minutes
- Fold in the dry ingredients (step 2) and the wine alternately, until incorporated
- Scrape the butter into a pre-butter & floured pan and bake for 45 minutes
- Do the toothpick test to make sure it is well-baked and let it cool for about 15 minutes before serving
- Bon appétit!
Serving suggestions: RED WINE!!!!!! whipped cream, dust with confectioner’s sugar, fruits, flavored syrup . . .
NOTES: There is no need to cut down on the sugar since unsweetened cocoa powder was used and the wine wasn’t on the sweet side to begin with. The slight boozy flavor is simply wonderful! A bundt pan is recommended to use for a prettier representation.