For 4 – 6
- ~2.5 lbs oxtails with separated joints
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups chicken/beef/veggie stock (chicken broth was used)
- 2 cups red wine (Syrah was used)
- 1 cup water
- 2-3 cups chopped vegetables (carrots and celery was used)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 pinch of thyme
- 1 bay leave
- salt and pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Clean oxtails then season with salt and pepper
- Heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat in a dutch oven and sear the oxtails till browned on all sides
- Add 1/2 of the chopped onions into the dutch oven and cook them until translucent
- In a separate pot, heat the water, red wine and stock over medium heat. Then add to the dutch oven and bring to a simmer.
- Place it in the oven to cook for about 2 hours
- After the oxtails have been braising for 2 hours, add the chopped vegetables, raisins, remaining onion, minced garlic, tomato paste, herbs and 1/2 tsp salt into the dutch oven. Cook for 1 more hour.
- Bon appétit!
Serving suggestions: mashed potatoes, mashed yams, rice, bread…
NOTES: Try to choose lean oxtails. If only the fatty ones are available then cool the pot and skim off the fat. It is recommended to set aside the braised oxtails over night to let the flavors further develop. The aroma is absolutely wonderful!